Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day Goodies

I thought that today was going to be the first day of my internship at WTMD. However, I should've confirmed with my supervisor because I could've saved myself a few hours and gas. Turns out she wasn't in today, so I drove down to school (with two dozen fresh blueberry muffins) for no reason. And what sucked even more was that I couldn't get a hold of the boy (he left his phone at home), who was at the Maryland State Fair (which I really wanted to go to today). I knew it would be crowded there and I didn't want to have to a) pay - they had free tickets and b) search all around the fairgrounds for him. Flustered, I ate a muffin then went to Starbucks before heading home where I enjoyed two more muffins, my hot chocolate, and ... MY CHAISE! The good part about having the house to myself is free range of my wonderful chaise. Short lived but it felt good.

I've made these muffins before, and this time decided to triple the recipe and use only fresh blueberries. I also (by accident) didn't follow the crumb topping recipe exactly, but I think it still tasted fabulous.

     


Best Blueberry Muffins Ever
Adapted from craftedmybones 
Makes 2 1/2 Dozen

Ingredients:

Muffins
  • 4 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
  • 2 1/4 cups Sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
  • 2 Tablespoons Baking Powder
  • 1 cup Vegetable Oil
  • 3 Eggs
  • 1 cup Milk
  • 1 cup+ Blueberries (I didn't measure, used most of a 
Crumb Topping
  • 1/2 cups Sugar
  • 1/2 cups Flour (use 1/3 for a more crumb-like topping)
  • 4 Tablespoons Butter
  • 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line muffin cups with liners. Make crumb topping by mixing together ingredients with a fork.

Whisk dry ingredients into a large bowl. Add in vegetable oil, eggs, and milk; mixing until incorporated. Fold in blueberries.

Fill muffin cups about 2/3 full and sprinkle with one teaspoon crumb topping and bake for about 8-9 minutes, adding another teaspoon of crumb topping and baking for an additional 8-9 minutes, 18-20 minutes total.

-----


After enjoying my muffins, I decided I needed to head to the grocery store to pick up some things for dinner as well as other grocery necessities. I picked up some fruits and veggies, tons of frozen meals (perfect for me to take to school), granola cereal, Nature Valley granola bars, yogurt, water, and of course, the most recent issue of the Washingtonian. Once I got home, I had to reorganize the freezer and fridge so that everything fit nicely (and made me feel good).





Snack time came, and good thing I picked up a ripe avocado, cause I whipped up some guacamole. I kept it simple, just mashing the avocado and adding a little roasted tomato salsa. Served it with some multi-grain Tostitos and ate it all up. Perfect snack/lunch. The bowl was made by my grandfather. I've got a total of four bowls I think. As well as a fork, spoon, mixing spoon, and spatula. I've been using the mixing spoon/spatula a lot more lately, and am going to try and get in the habit of using the bowls as well.


And then, it was onto dinner. I wanted to fix it relatively early so that I'd have enough sunlight for some decent pictures. I hate that a lot of the dinners I fix are later in the evening when the lighting sucks and I get sucky pictures. It's sad that I'm planning meals around the lighting, isn't it? Oh well. Okay, back to the meal. I had decided to make Chicken Sliders after glazing over How Sweet's Buffalo Chicken Burgers and Ezra Pound Cake's Rattlesnake Sliders. I also wanted to make a Chipotle Mayo because, well, I love mayo. And chipotle-ness. And have been wanting to make chipotle mayo for like, ever. So there you have it -- Chicken Sliders with Chipotle Mayo. Recipe and pictures below :)







Chicken Sliders with Chipotle Mayo
Serves 4
Chipotle Mayo
Makes about 1/2 cup
  • 6 Tablespoons Mayo
  • 1/2 teaspoon Ground Chipotle Chile
Chicken Sliders
Makes 8 sliders
  • 1 pound Ground Chicken
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon Ground Pepper
Thoroughly mix together mayo and ground chipotle. Put in an air-tight container and put in fridge until ready to use (can be made up to 2 days in advance).
For the sliders, preheat an electric griddle (or grill or grill pan) to medium-high. Mix salt and pepper with the ground chicken until fully incorporated. Shape into balls and flatten, placing each patty about an inch apart on the griddle. Cook, turning once or twice, about 8-10 minutes.
To assemble, toast a small whole wheat roll (like King’s Hawaiian Honey Wheat Rolls) and layer lettuce, tomato, and mayo on the roll. Top with burger and enjoy!


-----


And that was my day. No dessert this evening, was feeling a little lazy (I did make Cookies & Cream Cupcakes yesterday, but I'll save those for another blog). Also didn't get any homework/reading done. Oops. I did do yoga though. I'm feeling a little defeated by it though, I'm wondering if I'm doing it right. And I hate that I'm not that flexible/steady and had difficulties with today's lesson. I guess if I keep at it I'll only get better, but it's hard when you're doing it by yourself in your own home with no "formal" yoga training, haha. 


How did you celebrate your Labor Day?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home