Sunday, August 15, 2010

It pays to bake cupcakes.

So I had my first paying cupcake gig last weekend for a former co-worker of mine. Her daughter just turned nine, and they were having a luau themed party. Camile knew exactly what she wanted -- chocolate cupcakes with green frosting inside and on top, strawberry cupcakes with turquoise frosting, and vanilla cupcakes with chocolate frosting. She also wanted hula skirt, flip flop, and palm tree fondant decorations.

I was really excited about this order because I loved Camile's ideas and was excited to give fondant another try. This was only my third time working with it, and although everything didn't come out exactly how I would have liked, I think I did pretty well considering everything was done by hand with no stencils, etc.

Cindy (the mother) told me that everyone loved the cupcakes, and she was so happy with how they turned out. I also made a two-layer marble sheet cake with chocolate icing and kept saying "I hate making cakes". Not that I hate making them, but I would much rather frost and decorate a cupcake rather than a sheet cake, haha.


This was a great learning experience, and I'm really excited for future orders. Tuesday's this fall are going to be cupcake tasting days with some friends, so I'm going to be testing out a bunch of recipes and getting ready for future orders as well as Cupcake Camp DC :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home